Princes take rugby rivalry to a new level

first_imgWith the Queen now aged 90, Prince Harry and Prince William will replace their grandmother as patrons of the English and Welsh rugby unions respectively, it was announced Tuesday.Britain’s long-serving monarch will step down as the patron of 25 UK organizations, including the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, the British Cycling Federation, the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Holocaust Memorial Trust.The Queen will pass the patronages on to other members of the royal family in the coming months.According to Buckingham Palace, she is patron of more than 600 organizations and will continue to represent hundreds of other charities and institutions.The decision follows the example set by her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, who resigned from a number of patronages when he turned 90 in 2011, Buckingham Palace said.The Queen has been patron of the English Rugby Union (RFU) since taking over the role from her father, King George V, in 1952. She has attended two World Cups in the United Kingdom, in 1991 and 1999.Both William and Harry are keen rugby fans and have served as vice-patrons to the Welsh and English unions since 2007 and 2010 respectively.They were pictured enjoying a good-natured rivalry during the 2015 Rugby World Cup when Wales upset host nation England in the pool stage.”His Royal Highness has been a great ambassador, not only for the Welsh Rugby Union, but for young people and for sport generally,” WRU president Dennis Gethin said in a statement.RFU president Peter Baines said it had been “a privilege and an honor” to have the Queen as patron for more than 60 years.”She has been a fantastic supporter of the union and we thank her for that and her contribution to the game of rugby in England,” he added.”Prince Harry has been a regular at England Tests at Twickenham … and a brilliant ambassador of our work in the community and our charities as well as internationally for the union as president of the 2015 Rugby World Cup.”last_img read more

Dagg’s rugby year appears over

first_imgThe 29-year-old injured his knee for the Crusaders in early March and required an operation, only returning to the field in late May.He went on to play all three British and Irish Lions Tests, as well as a protagonist’s role in the Crusaders’ Super Rugby triumph, but was rested from the All Blacks’ two Bledisloe Cup Tests against Australia.Characterising his knee niggle as a case of “old man syndrome” last week, Dagg went on to play just fewer than 50 minutes in Saturday’s 39-22 win over Argentina.But the issue appears more serious than Dagg intimated.Hansen has not selected the 66-Test veteran for this weekend’s clash with South Africa, and said Dagg’s injury prognosis was poor.But the exact time frame of his recovery remained unclear.”We’re getting more and more information on that and it doesn’t look great at this stage. It looks like he’s going to need some time away,” Hansen said.Props Owen Franks (Achilles) and Joe Moody (shoulder), and rookie fullback Jordie Barrett (shoulder) have all been ruled out for the rest of the season.Hansen has plenty of options to replace Dagg, even if team vice-captain Ben Smith is on a sabbatical until next year’s Super Rugby season.Nehe Milner-Skudder will start on the right wing against the Springboks at North Harbour Stadium while Waisake Naholo is also in the squad and comfortable in the number 14 jersey.last_img read more

All Blacks blitz Wallabies 42-8

first_imgAustralia’s Bledisloe Cup hopes lie in tatters after the crushing 42-8 loss, in which the rampant world champions piled on six tries to one in an attacking masterclass.It is New Zealand’s biggest win over the Wallabies on Australian soil in 113 years.The shellshocked Wallabies were dominated in every facet, with the scrum and lineout malfunctioning, the breakdown ravaged and bodies broken in a disastrous start to the tournament.The Test was all over by halftime, with the Wallabies trailing 32-3 and barely able to field a backline following worrying injuries to Matt Giteau, Matt Toomua and Rob Horne.Codie Taylor and Waisake Naholo both went off early with injuries of their own.Without a victory in New Zealand in 15 years, the Wallabies must win twice in two months across the Tasman to miraculously wrestle back the trophy.New Zealand’s record-breaking victory came 12 hours after it emerged that a listening device had been planted at the All Blacks’ hotel in Sydney, with police investigating.Ryan Crotty, Beauden Barrett, Jerome Kaino, Waisake Naholo, Dane Coles and Julian Savea scored the All Blacks’ tries, while Nick Phipps added a late consolation.In the other Rugby Championship match, South Africa defeated Argentina 30-23 in Nelspruit this morning after a late fightback from the Springboks.The hosts were trailing the Pumas by 10 points with 10 minutes to go, but they went on to score two tries – the second coming just two minutes before the final whistle – to secure the win.South Africa scored three ties to two for Argentina, who will consider themselves desperately unlucky not to win in South Africa for a second successive year.- RNZ, Reuterslast_img read more

Aitor, the goal that stops LaLiga the most, challenges Jan Oblak

first_imgJan Oblak Y Aitor Fernández, two of LaLiga’s most prominent goalkeepers will measure their strength in the Wanda Metropolitano in a direct duel. The goalkeeper who less goals grant of the championship against goalkeeper which is more involved in the competition. The duel is served. And, despite their notable differences, in terms of style or size, they share a common link: both are fundamental for the interests of their teams. Oblak, Zamora Trophy of the last four editions, it is the reference in First Division. Precisely the Past course he was the one who punched his goal so many more, with 27. The previous seasons had them closed with 18, 21 and 22respectively. This is already 11 embedded in a game to finish the first round. However, in that facet of the game, the one that stands out is Aitor Fernández with 78 interventions in what we have been in season. Leading the board alone, far ahead from Manolo Reina (64), the one of Arrasate sustains the offensive and uninhibited style of the granotas with his interventions. Nonetheless so has only been able to leave immaculate the goal in Two occasions this season, before the Valladolid (2-0) Y Eibar (0-0). The Basque, on more than one occasion, has recognized that his idyllic result is not fitting. A complicated task in this Levante, which bases its strength on the exchange of blows with the rival.With two years apart, Oblak and Aitor They have lived different paths until they reach this moment. Now, they are measured in one of LaLiga’s duels.center_img In this new Atlético de Madrid, with a more interventionist version of Slovenian, has managed to leave his zero goal in nine occasions in the 18 matches played so far with 39 stops. Being the goalkeeper who more often left his goal blank in 2019, in 25 of the 46 crashes who participated The best of the big leagues. This year, it is ahead of Ter Stegen (36), Vaclik (36) or Courtois (33), for example.last_img read more

Djukic: “We are not figures, we must continue working”

first_img“In this category if you relax a little and think that you have achieved something, the punishment comes to you”, warned Djukic, who He gave as an example of equality the fact that Racing came to win in Almeria.The rojiblanco coach indicated that his team has to maintain its way of working – “There is no reason to adapt to the rival”, he said – and about Cádiz he stressed that “he does not care about the possession of the ball and has very fast transitions” so “you have to be very attentive to the surveillance and not lose balls.” Sporting coach Miroslav Djukic warned his players on Thursday about the danger of any kind of relaxation by stating that to win Racing “we are not figures” and “we must continue with the work overalls”.Djukic was resounding in stating that “There is nothing to celebrate, you have to be serious”, why, “If he got his head up, he was working like bastards, fighting and fighting and you have to continue that way. ““We can’t relax and that’s why I call the intelligence of the players, you have to enter the match against Cádiz as you entered Santander, there is no room for relaxation because we have not moved away from danger, “the Serbian coach recalled.Djukic considered that “If things are done well before the leader, he will win in confidence” and claimed that “Cádiz is a very good team that is up on its own merits.”last_img read more

Sánchez Martínez will direct the Mirandés-Real Sociedad; Del Cerro, Granada-Athletic

first_imgBoth qualifiers are more than open. The Real Sociedad won 2-1 in the first leg at Mirandés, so that somewhat of the team led by Andoni Iraola would go around the tie. In the meantime, Athletic arrives in Granada with a minimal advantage after the 1-0 victory at San Mamés. A local goal would take the game to extra time. In short, thrill in this new format of the Copa del Rey. The referees are already known for the second leg of the Copa del Rey semifinals that will be played next week. The Mirandés-Real Sociedad, which will be played next Wednesday, March 4 at 9:00 p.m. in Anduva, will be directed by Sánchez Martínez and will be accompanied by Hernández Hernández in the VAR.For its part, Carlos del Cerro Grande will be in charge of arbitrating Granada-Athletic, which takes place on Thursday, March 5 at 9:00 p.m. at Nuevo Los Cármenes. Martínez Munuera will be in the VOR room of the Soccer City of Las Rozas.last_img read more

UEFA investigates the launch of objects from Ajax fans in Getafe

first_imgThe Brazilian striker Deyverson Silva suffered the impact of a lighter on the leg when he celebrated the goal he scored in the first half, and the object was launched from the stands where the Dutch fans were.Likewise, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Discipline Committee has notified Ajax that after the game several seats of the destroyed Alfonso Pérez Coliseum were found in the area reserved for these same fans.The whole of Amsterdam You have six days to respond to the allegations, and the highest European football body will communicate on March 26 if it finally imposes a penalty.Ajax already suffered last October a fine of 50,000 euros due to the altercations caused by their fans after Valencia-Ajax, Champions League, last October 2.The highest body of European football He also punished the club with an away game without being able to buy tickets, but the sanction was temporarily suspended on condition that their fans did not incur similar behaviors for a year. The UEFA investigates the launch of objects of the Ajax followers in the field of Getafe During the first leg of the round of 16 of the Europa League, the Dutch club said Tuesday in a statement posted on its website.last_img read more

Zozulia apologizes

first_imgI would also like to apologize to people who felt offended by my words. My intention was not to humiliate or offend anyone. I hear these words very often on the football fields and I also believe that they should be eliminated from football and sports in general.Each person chooses their path in life and decides how to live it. Never in my life have I stated that I am against it.I apologize once again. I didn’t want to offend anyone.I wish you all goodness, health and happiness.Aúpa Alba!“. Albacete striker Roman Zozulia has apologized after his controversial statements to a Ukrainian media in which he charged against the fans of Rayo Vallecano after pointing out that “first they called me fascist, then nazi and soon they will say i’m fag“.The player of the Manchego team has issued a statement and has published a video in which he states the following:“I have not expressed myself correctly. That is why, and above all, I would like to apologize to my teammates and Albacete Balompié. All the words I spoke do not correspond to the history of the Club and its shield.last_img read more

Elche informs Oscar Gil that he cancels his renewal

first_imgThe case of the sides is the most striking. Juan Cruz is in the orbit of numerous First Division teams and It is very likely that it will be transferred in summer if Elche does not ascend. Its clause is four million euros and has a contract until June 30, 2021. If you don’t leave in June, you will do it for free when the next campaign is over. There are eleven finals left for the Elche fights for the new objective that has focused on its target: promotion of promotion to First. And that is the same time left to sports director Nico Rodriguez to tie the players he has in his sights: Juan Cruz, Iván Sánchez and Óscar Gil. Óscar Gil’s situation is more convoluted. The canterano signed a new contract on November 27, but the entity never returned it signed. The arrival of Bragarnik, five days later, stopped the operation due to the high amounts that the sports director Nico Rodríguez had accepted.The ilicitano side would charge 200,000 euros per course, almost double that of Juan Cruz, for example. His clause was going to rise to four million euros. A few weeks ago he received in writing the communication, dated mid-January, that canceled that improvement Therefore, the contract continues at the beginning of the season, with a clause of 500,000 euros. Oscar Gil is now a bargain in the market.Will be too Iván Sánchez, who will be free. His wish is to make the jump to First. And he hopes to do it with his current team. In case of not achieving it, it will be open to other proposals.last_img read more

Odegaard, Asensio and Hazard are the only safe ‘signings’

first_imgRegarding Asensio and Hazard, in this new scenario that arises and if it were impossible to sign a forward of guarantees (Haaland type), it goes back to the idea of ​​last season. “Hazard and Asensio will contribute the goals that were lost with Cristiano’s departure.” The injuries of the two footballers have prevented seeing if it was a crazy idea. Now, circumstances compel. Based on the figures, Mallorcan and Belgian added 28 goals in 2017-18 (11 and 17 respectively) and 27 goals in 2018-19 (six Asensio, 21 Hazard). The numbers come out, also taking into account the increase in Benzema’s scoring ability after Cristiano’s departure. At this point of uncertainty due to the coronavirus crisis, no fixed date for soccer to resume and waiting for what the Ministry of Health can say about it, the only thing that is clear In Madrid’s offices regarding the preparation of the next season’s squad, the return to the playing fields of Asensio (24 years old) and Hazard (29) and the return of the loan of Odegaard (21). The three will be the three proper names on which Madrid will be based next season.Today in the club they are beginning to realize that this summer there may be no noticeable transfers in the world of soccer. Without the money from televisions and the box office in stadiums, the industry is technically bankrupt. The consequences of this crisis in the world of football are still unknown, and at least in Madrid they have the good news of those three names that are put on the table. There are few more certainties in Madrid next season, than He must decide more things like whether Areola is still in goal or Lunin returns, if he attends to the request of the Borussia to stay with Achraf and pull Reguilón or if he sells to a Ceballos that has little to do with Zidane even knowing that the market will be devalued. The only sure thing is that, today, a future of skinny cows and many difficulties is in sight.center_img On the other hand, Odegaard (21 years old) must be the main name of the project in terms of generating illusion. The Norwegian was being one of the interrupted championship footballers, protagonist of the main attack statistics. Odegaard participates in 62% of Real’s plays that end in a goal. The transfer to the Real that has been signed is only for one year although verbally the possibility was left open for another one. But Madrid has made the decision to recruit him. He will be important in the project because he is the man called to to supply the benefits of a Modric (34 years old) who is already at the end of his career.last_img read more