Artist and Scavenger Stronghold Booted from SF Mission

first_img“They’re using [the seismic retrofit] as an excuse to get us out,” said McQuate, who was renting the space on a month-to-month lease. The building is managed by Greentree Property Management, a management firm that took over after the building was sold three years ago, said McQuate.Adjacent to Junko’s, a 27-year-old botanica called Lucky Candle, also managed by Greentree, was evicted at the end of last year because of seismic retrofit work. Ron Heckmann, a spokesperson for Greentree, confirmed that both the candle shop and Junko’s were asked to vacate the buildings to comply “with City-mandated soft-story earthquake retrofits and related building improvements.” He estimated the process would take somewhere between four and six months.  He said that no leases have been “arranged for the retail spaces at present because of the retrofit work, but we are open to any tenants who wish to explore leasing the space.”“I’m upset about having to leave,” said McQuate, reflecting on the changes that led up to the demise of his underground empire.Junko’s – a former bar turned gallery – was a space that McQuate said,  “nobody wanted,” when he, Felten, and fellow scavengers took over the lease for just $900 a month in 1996.“We made it into our world,” he said. A Scrounger’s ParadiseAs Junko’s owners cleaned house, a rack of vintage coats and a few dated photographs were the sole remnants in the emptied space and alluded to its colorful history.“The whole floor was gold floral foil – we had a fake fireplace and a gold couch,” said McQuate, walking through converted storefront that, for about a year and half in the late 90s, served as a flashy movie house, performance space, and a speakeasy of sorts. Square mirrors once covered a wall in the back room of Junko’s known as the Gold Lounge. There, an off-duty bartender from the nearby Bruno’s club served stiff cocktails in exchange for donations on Sunday nights behind a makeshift bar.“We basically opened it because we wanted a place for us and our friends to hang out, a place for people to interact,” said McQuate.A contortionist, a juggler, a magician, and Felten’s very own tap dancing routine were among the regular acts that drew audiences to Junko’s, where the party continued long after the neighborhood’s bars announced last call.A movie screen hung over the stage and a video projector rumored to have belonged to underground avant-garde filmmaker Kenneth Anger streamed flicks from another corner of the room.“Supposedly the projector was the first video and porn projector on the west coast. But I don’t know if that’s true,” said McQuate.The projector, like almost every other item that has passed through Junko’s, was either found or built from scrapped materials. “In the city, there used to be a bunch of spaces where you could go see a movie, a show, performance spaces that were kind of underground,” said McQuate. “We were the last hold out – those spaces really don’t exist anymore.” But in in the late 90s, intervention by the city put an end to the act.“The captain of Mission Station came in one morning and said he knew what was going on here and that we had stolen stuff, prostitution and drugs – which was totally insane,” said McQuate. “We had to shut down or they were going to shut us down.”Photo by Lola M. ChavezAfter the crackdown, Junko’s served as a vintage thrift and gift shop, Gem and Jetsam that was operated by McQuate and a former girlfriend, Kathleen Maley, where he and fellow scavengers sold and traded found goods as an alternative to street vending. The space showcased the work of local artists and designers, but closed in 2014 due to a drop in sales that made the thrift store unsustainable.“I think the people with money…a lot of them weren’t into vintage stuff and a lot of them were gone down to the peninsula on the google buses everyday, so the neighborhood was empty,” said McQuate. “And the people that were left were just worried about paying the rent.”Still, the scavenging continued.“We just were constantly dumpster diving and bringing loads home and I’d clean them. I sold them on the streets here forever,” said Felten. McQuate humbly referred to himself as the “dumpster prince” and Felten, a product of San Francisco’s hardcore 80s punk scene, said he discovered his love for scavenging when he found his first piece of vintage clothing at age 13.The pair sometimes struck gold in the city’s trash bins – once, they came up on a letter written by Ronald Reagan that became fodder for a PBS segment.In 2012, McQuate said his greatest discovery nearly landed him embroiled in a lawsuit. While asked to clean out a home in Oakland, McQuate said he stumbled across a manuscript by Beat icon Neal Cassady, which famously inspired Jack Kerouac’s Novel “on the Road.”A legal battle for ownership of the artifact known as the “Joan Anderson Letter,” worth some $400,000, left McQuate out of the equation – but the story itself is a badge of honor in Junko’s unconventional history. Even as they watched other small businesses close shop in the wake of overheated rental prices, the pair remained steadfast in hanging on to their lease.  But last year, despite its many reincarnations, news of the impending renovations ultimately sealed Junko’s fate. Faced with market-rate rents elsewhere, Junko’s owners said they don’t have the wherewithal to reinvent their business, and instead settled on a buyout.“To lose your place in San Francisco and have no money, you’re screwed – at some point we had to just say, this is good enough,” said McQuate. 0% The new year marked the end of an era for the proprietors of Junko’s, a once clandestine thrift-store cabaret in the Mission and a two-decade stronghold of the city’s underground scavenging movement that unearthed everything from a letter from Ronald Reagan to a manuscript by Beat icon Neal Cassady. The owners, Derek Felten and Michael McQuate, made careers out of a shared passion for dumpster-diving. They cited a city-mandated seismic retrofit of the property as the main reason for shutting down the converted storefront at 3527-29 20th St. near Mission Street.  It is a two-story commercial space that they built out and stewarded as a thrift store for 21 years, a time when it became the home for the city’s misfits and creatives. On Wednesday, Felten, a performer and musician, and McQuate, a carpenter by trade, were rummaging through piles of stuff and sorting out valuables. But instead of salvaging thrown away treasures, the self-styled “scavengers” were reluctantly downsizing.center_img Tags: displacement • evictions • landlords • trash Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%last_img read more

EIGHTY years ago on May 7 1932 the Saints became

first_imgEIGHTY years ago, on May 7 1932, the Saints became Champions for the first time after beating Huddersfield 9-5 at Wakefield Trinity’s Belle Vue ground.There were more than 20,000 fans at the game!Scorers for the Saints were Tom Winnard, with a crucial try and three goals from full-back and captain George Lewis.This was also Saints’ first-ever ‘double’ celebration too, as they had also clinched the Lancashire League title.The St. Helens team that won the Championship was without star winger Alf Ellaby and second-rower Albert Fildes, who were on the boat to Australia with the Great Britain Lions.Eighty years on we salute the players who brought our first major success: George Lewis (Capt); Roy Hardgrave, Bill Mercer, Tom Winnard, Bob Jones; Harry Frodsham, Jack Garvey; Bob Atkin, Dave Cotton, Ebor Hill, Ben Halfpenny, Jack Arkwright and Walter Groves.last_img read more

ANGELA Powers presented the aims of the Her Rugby

first_imgANGELA Powers presented the aims of the Her Rugby League Association at the latest Saints Business Networking Player of the Month event – sponsored by Oval Broking Insurance Ltd.The Sky Sports presenter told delegates that the objectives of the new body were simple – to promote the game of rugby league by highlighting one of its greatest assets – its women.It is believed that on matchday up to 40 per cent of the crowd is made up of women and children and behind the scenes, especially at community level, clubs rely on an army of women to sell, manage, organise and promote the sport.Dave Hutchinson, Head of Sales and Marketing at Saints said: “Angela delivered a really insightful presentation on Her RLA and its plans for the future. The attendees were fascinated with the progress the Association has made in such a short space of time.“The event was once again populated by business and people from a wide range of organisations and it is clear they continue to see it as an excellent way of enhancing their development. If your business wants to get involved and share its success and best practice at the event then don’t hesitiate to get in touch.”Sia Soliola was awarded the Player of the Month award for May after his superb performances both on and off the field.The next event will be at the end of June and if you want to be involved you can contact Dave on sales@saintsrlfc.com or call 01744 455061.last_img read more

THE players and staff had a big session on the fie

first_imgTHE players and staff had a big session on the field today with the lads working in small groups on specific areas of their own positionsThe Derek’s – Hardman and Traynor – worked with the fullbacks to help them understand their roles and how to work the field for kick returns.Tommy M had the half backs for kicking.Paul and Chis had the forwards for ruck plays and lines of running.Ian Talbot had the 9s and Killer (Neil) had the wingers and centres.To get this much work done in the off season at home would take weeks and would be near impossible with the weather we get during the off season so the players and staff get a real opportunity to improve their own ability in their given roles.As much as the games are important and a real test the amount we get to work with the players is real benefit to this trip of a lifetime.The activity of the day was Scuba diving and as you can see all the players had the chance to undertake the activity off the beach at Manly (Shelley beach).The lads had a great time and even took the chance to see small sharks on their travels… it was not for all the lads with some finding it hard to breathe and take to the change but you cannot fault the players’ effort in trying new activities.The lads will have a double day tomorrow with a 7am start and evening session.The next game is on Saturday against Penrith at the Centrebet Stadium (Kick Off to be confirmed at 6.30pm local time).Hope you are enjoying the blog COYS.For all the latest on the Academy Tour, click here.last_img read more

Coastal Christian High School packs thousands of meals for kids in Haiti

first_img The volunteers who came out this weekend packaged 55,000 meals to help feed starving children. One of the organizers said she is happy to be making a difference.“After we started the program of educating the children and went to visit the schools, we saw that the children had nothing to eat and I’m an educator, I teach here at Coastal. I have taught all my life and you can’t teach a child who is hungry,” Hope Changes Everything Founder Renee Hunter said.The meals will be feeding kids in schools five days a week. Hunter said the program started five years ago and hopes it continues to grow. NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — On Saturday one high school came together to package thousands of meals for a village in Haiti.Coastal Christian High School partnered with Hope Changes Everything, a nonprofit organization that provides education, clean water and meals to children in Haiti.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Wake N Bake serves up Super Bowl donuts

first_img The donut shop is taking pre-orders now. They say there is a limited quantity.You can get them by the dozen or half dozen, with Boston cream, white holland cream, chocolate pudding, or blueberry filling.For those of you with divided houses, you can even get half a dozen Rams and half a dozen Patriots.Related Article: Residents concerned about chosen dumping siteThere are two locations in New Hanover County, one in downtown Wilmington and another in Carolina Beach.Order online. NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — There’s a big game you may have heard about happening this weekend, Super Bowl LIII. Local businesses are prepping for fans of both the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots.At Wake N Bake Donuts, you can put in your order for custom team pastries for the big day.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Two men busted on drug charges at Whiteville home

first_img While investigators executed a search warrant at Johnson’s home in the 100 block of Greenfield Estates Road, they reportedly saw 28-year-old Kenyarta Smith, of Whiteville, flushing cocaine down a toilet.CCSO says they found cocaine, heroin, MDPV, and guns in the home.Johnson faces eight felony charges. He is in jail under a $3.1 million secured bond.Related Article: Indictments: Sheriff took money, spent on food, window tintSmith is in jail under a $50,000 secured bond. Andrew Keith Johnson and Kenyata Tyrell Smith (Photo: CCSO) COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office says two men have been arrested after a three-month-long investigation.The sheriff’s office says investigators made undercover heroin purchases from 30-year-old Andrew Johnson of Whiteville.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Trial underway for man charged in 2017 Wilmington murder

first_img00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The trial for a man charged in a 2017 Wilmington murder continues this week in a New Hanover County courtroom.Daquan Daniels is charged with first degree murder.- Advertisement – The New Hanover County District Attorney’s Office says the prosecution continued to present evidence Monday.This phase of the trial is expected to last a few more days.Daniels allegedly shot and killed Aubrey Redd on Campbell Street in June of 2017.last_img read more

Watch I will continue to convince everyone with my energy – Muscat

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrint Prime Minister and Labour Leader Joseph Muscat has said that with two weeks until voters go to the polls, he will not stop for one hour from convincing people, he will instead continue to convince everyone with his energy.Muscat was addressing a political activity in Żebbuġ Gozo, in which he explained that the Nationalist Party wants to convince the public as if there are no elections coming, however the Labour Party is detemined to continue to work and convince people.“The Nationalist Party is afraid of these elections”The Labour Party leader questioned why the Nationalist Party is not interested to debate about different topics. He said it was usually the other way aound in an election with the governing party being more afraid for the mid-term elections.He mentioned how the PN did not issue enough candidates for local councils especially in the south of Malta and also in Gozo.“Nationalist MEPs voted against Malta”Joseph Muscat then points out that for several times the Nationalist MEPs voted against Malta in the Parliament. He explained how the opposition MEPs tried to create fear that the European Union could intervene in Maltese issues like tax and abortion. He said that this is not true because the government decides on this. Muscat recalled the brochure that were sent by former PN leader Simon Busuttil, saying that the Maltese Government is to decide and not the European Union.Joseph Muscat said that the Nationalist MEP’s voted against Malta on a paragraph stating that the tax system in Malta is not in line with the European standards.“Collect your voting document and go and vote”Muscat appealed to voters to go and collect the voting document. He urged the public to vote for all the PL candidates.WhatsApplast_img read more

I received a phone call from a mother stigma drove her son

first_img SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> Mental Health Commissioner John Cachia said that he knew of a case in which a boy committed suicide due to the stigma he was facing. Cachia said he learnt about this after being told by the boy’s mother during a telephone call.Dr Cachia spoke about this particular case during the annual conference of the Maltese Association of Psychiatry (MAP) regarding the prevention of suicide and self-harming behaviour.The Commissioner remarked that he received this phone call recently and that it was about a boy who committed suicide last year. He committed suicide because of the stigma his aunt was facing as she was a patient an Mount Carmel Hospital.Cachia said that the boy got disheartened when he heard others speak about his aunt. This prevented him from seeking help for himself. Cachia also said that the boy’s mother described him as someone who would stay alone at home without speaking to anyone.Commissioner for mental health gets over 10 requests a week – FearneCachia made reference to an appeal recently made by a group of youths to end the stigma revolving around suicide. He  appealed to mental health professionals to keep their social responsibility in mind and he appealed to the media to report on suicide in a manner which reduces the stigma about it while at the same time reducing the number of cases.MAP President Dr Nigel Camilleri stated that the media should report on cases of suicide. He said that this helps families with closure psychologically.Richmond Foundation COO Daniela Calleja Bitar mentioned a case involving a five year old boy who asked his father why there are people who take their own life. His father said that he doesn’t know. The father spoke to Calleja Bitar after reflecting on the conversation he had with his son and he said that children should be taught more about mental health.Psychiatry Chairperson Dr Anton Grech also made an intervention during the conference. Grech spoke about the situation in Mount Carmel Hospital. He said that the service offered is adequate unlike the state of the building. He also mentioned that there still exists a false stigma that if people seek help they will end up in this hospital.If you’re feeling depressed, anxious, or are facing a problem which you’d like to talk about, you may contact: Kellimni.com, Aġenzija Sapport, Sedqa, OASI Foundation, or Richmond Foundation.WhatsApplast_img read more