Pedophile suspect found in Thailand

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“Bingo! We’ve got him,” police Maj. Gen. Wimol Powintara said. Neil was being driven to Bangkok, about 130 miles away, Wimol said. Wimol declined to give details of the arrest, saying a news conference would be held in Bangkok later in the day. Shortly before the arrest, Wimol said police rushed to the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima on Thursday night after receiving credible information that Neil had fled there. Residents said they had spotted the Canadian near the home of a Thai man who police say had helped Neil to meet boys in the past, Wimol said. Neil lived in Thailand from 2002 to early 2004, police said. By Sutin Wannabovorn THE ASSOCIATED PRESS BANGKOK, Thailand – A Canadian schoolteacher suspected of pedophilia was arrested today in northeastern Thailand after an international manhunt that included the release of his unscrambled Internet photos to the public. The suspect, 32-year-old Christopher Paul Neil, had been hiding in the town of a Thai friend who used to arrange some of his sexual liaisons with boys, police said. Thai authorities issued an arrest warrant Thursday for Neil after determining that he may have sexually abused boys in Thailand, in addition to the dozen Cambodian and Vietnamese boys, some as young as 6, whom Interpol suspects he abused. At Thailand’s request, Interpol also issued an international wanted persons notice for Neil. The so-called “Red Notice” from the France-based international police agency was to be circulated worldwide requesting the subject’s arrest so he can be extradited. The Thai arrest warrant was based on the testimony of one boy, who said he was lured to Neil’s apartment in Bangkok by a Thai man, Wimol said. The boy was one of three Thai youths, aged 9, 13 and 14 at the time, who contacted police Wednesday after seeing Neil’s photograph on television. They claimed he had paid them to perform oral sex on him in 2003, Wimol said earlier, adding that the Canadian allegedly also had sex with at least one other underaged male. The boys said the suspect showed them pornographic images on his computer at his apartment in Bangkok, and paid them each $16 to $32, Wimol said. Neil has taught at various schools in Thailand, South Korea and Vietnam since at least 2000.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

‘I don’t understand how PSG avoided FFP over Mbappe’

first_imgTransfers I cannot understand how PSG did not break FFP over Mbappe, says Monaco president Last updated 2 years ago 07:38 9/4/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(56) Kylian Mbappe Monaco 2017 Getty Images Transfers Kylian Mbappé Nice v Monaco Nice Monaco Ligue 1 The president of the Ligue 1 club affirmed that the deal PSG made was too good to turn down, although how they cleared it past UEFA still puzzles him Monaco president Vadim Vasilyev has admitted he is bewildered over how Paris Saint-Germain circumvented Financial Fair Play rules in bringing Kylian Mbappe to the French capital. Having already smashed the world transfer record with the arrival of Neymar, PSG pulled off another coup by landing Mbappe from their Ligue 1 rivals. Le Parisiens 10/11 to win CL Group B Article continues below Editors’ Picks Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina The teenage wonderkid moves on an initial one-year loan, but with a compulsory purchase option that will push the total transfer value to a whopping €180 million. Vasilyev, who ironed out the details of the transfer along with PSG and Mbappe’s representatives, has now affirmed that he cannot fathom how the buyers have stayed within the financial limits stipulated by UEFA.”It was a very tough transfer. At the start, we didn’t want to let him go to a direct competitor, but I’ve always shared a good relationship with his father who is also his agent. They convinced me,” the Russian explained to TASS.Kylian Mbappe France Luxembourg World Cup Qualifiers 03092017“But the talks with Paris were very complicated. We couldn’t understand how they could sign the player without breaking FFP.”Ultimately, however, Vasilyev explained that the offer was just too good to refuse.”It was a deal between three parties. The Mbappes always said that it was going to be done by the best terms for us,” he added.”Paris paid the price we asked, which was as much as we got from other European clubs”. The principality club saw a host of top talents leave over a lucrative summer. As well as Mbappe, the likes of Benjamin Mendy, Bernardo Silva and Tiemoue Bakayoko moved on from the Champions League semi-finalists.last_img read more

Fairytale wedding Royal union to set nuptial trends for seasons to come

first_imgFor those who harbour Disney-themed fantasies for their pending nuptials, the union of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle promises to be a feast of regal inspiration, wedding watchers say.In keeping with a long history of royal trend-setting, the matrimony on May 19 could dictate styles for seasons to come — from the cut of the wedding dress, to the floral arrangements, to the length of the guest list, said Molly Lux, a Saskatoon-based wedding planner.“They’re royalty. They’re kind of the epitome of trends and what’s hot in the wedding world,” said Lux.“They just do everything so big and grand, and everyone kind of stops and watches.”The 2011 wedding of Prince William and the now Duchess of Cambridge, formerly Kate Middleton, had a noticeable influence on what Lux’s clientele envisioned for their big day.After the bride’s sister, Pippa Middleton, made jaws drop in a form-fitting ivory gown as a maid of honour, Lux said she saw a spike in demand for white bridesmaid dresses.As Kensington Palace scrupulously doles out details about Prince Harry and Markle’s nuptials, Lux said the information that has been made public reflects current bridal trends as much as it looks to set future fashions.The couple’s florist is harvesting in-season foliage from the gardens surrounding Windsor Castle to arrange designs that reflect the wild and natural landscape of the wedding locale, palace officials said.An untamed, “picked off the road” floral esthetic has also been popular among engaged couples Lux has worked with this season.Prince Harry and Markle could also help bring back the cake-cutting tradition, which has been sidelined for years in favour of bite-sized dessert tables, said Lux.For Halifax bride-to-be Maggie-Jane Parker, there’s an allure surrounding the royal wedding for both practical and aspirational reasons.“As a young girl, you dream of that princess wedding and finding prince charming, and it’s still very much in the narrative of romantic stories, even today,” she said.“There’s appeal too in the kind of fanfare of it, because most people would not necessarily have a wedding of that size or that grandeur.”As the 24-year-old plans her wedding on P.E.I. in late August, Parker said she is interested to see how the Harry and Markle will continue to buck the royal status quo.A former actress and divorcee, Markle’s very inclusion in the royal family signals a break from stuffy notions that your true love has to be your first, Parker said.“I think it’s a nice narrative to have that maybe your second marriage is to a prince.”Parker said she’s heard that many engaged couples have copied the royal request for charitable donations in lieu of gifts, or have reallocated their budgets for wedding favours towards good causes.She and her fiance have drawn inspiration from the couple’s politician-averse guest list, which she said has helped relieve some of the pressure when it comes inviting divisive figures to her own nuptials.If Harry and Markle can snub global leaders like U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May, U.S. President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Parker said “maybe not inviting that uncle isn’t going to be the end of the world.”One of the most hotly anticipated reveals in the wedding world will come when Markle steps out in her wedding dress, said Kim Ironmonger, designer and owner of Toronto’s Valencienne Bridal.“The minute the dress is coming out of the carriage, designers are very rapidly taking inspiration from that dress, or even actually copying that dress as close as possible,” she said. “Whatever look they’re going for, they could set a trend.”In recent years, Ironmonger said many of her clients have sought to replicate the long-sleeved lace the Duchess wore on her wedding day.She anticipates that Markle will take wedding fashions in a bolder direction than the last royal bride, who perhaps due to proximity to the throne, wore a more conservative gown.“I think Meghan is very unique, and she’s going to be looking for a very different dress,” predicts Ironmonger. “We’re going to have some fun surprises.”Among the dressmakers who have been floated for the coveted royal commission are London-based luxury brand Ralph & Russo and Canadian-born designer Erdem Moralioglu’s British fashion house, both of whom Ironmonger feels could pull off the embellished, princess-cut gown she envisions for Markle.Toronto-based royal watcher Patricia Treble, who runs WriteRoyalty.com, said whichever designer Markle chooses, the dress will likely be preserved for posterity.She said many royal wedding dresses are treated as “works of art” to be put on display, and some have even altered the course of fashion history.For instance, colourful wedding gowns were all the rage when Queen Victoria wore a white dress to marry Prince Albert in 1840 — a style decision that would later be credited with kicking off the white wedding tradition, said Treble.But it’s too soon to say whether Markle will be a style icon in the vein of Harry’s late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, she added.However, she said she could see the soon-to-be royal making her mark on nuptial fashions, perhaps even upending the Victorian white wedding tradition by wearing blush pink.“Until we actually see it, we won’t (know). This is the fun,” said Treble. “She could do anything she wants.”last_img read more

Benitez still has faith in Newcastle United

first_imgThe Spanish manager believes his team can still be saved this season, despite losing 2-1 against Chelsea and slipping into the bottom three of the Premier.After losing 2-1 against Chelsea in yesterday’s fixture of the English Premier League, Newcastle United fell into the 18th position.The Magpies have now only 4 wins, six draws, and 12 defeats so far in the 2018-2019 season.And are just 7 points ahead of the EPL’s last club Huddersfield Town.But Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez is still hopeful his team can be saved.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“What I can see is that we have to stay calm,” he said to The Chronicle.“Next week will be massive against Cardiff but we still have to win more games than that.”“We have to do well in the rest of the season,” he explained.“I have confidence in the team and if we continue working like today we will have chances to get points against teams that will be closer to us.”last_img read more

Fortnite look out Apex Legends tallies 25 million players a week after

first_img Share your voice Tags “Since we launched Apex Legends last week on Monday we’ve seen the creation of an Apex Legends community that is excited, thriving, and full of great feedback and ideas,” Vince Zampella wrote in a blog post. (Zampella is head of Respawn Entertainment, which made Apex Legends and its predecessor, Titanfall.) “Our goal is to build this game with you, our community, so keep giving us your feedback because we really are listening.”EA’s success with Apex Legends marks a potential for it to take on Fortnite, which counted 200 million players in December. (Epic didn’t immediately respond to a request for updated figures.) Those millions of players have turned Fortnite into a cultural phenomenon, played by celebrities, musicians and sports stars. Player counts aren’t the only signs of Apex Legends’ success. Shortly after the announcement Monday, gamers were playing Apex Legends on the popular streaming game service Twitch at nearly three times the number they were Fortnite, and even more than other popular streaming games like League of Legends. The number of people streaming Apex Legends is nearly three times more than Fortnite on Twitch.tv. Screenshot by Ian Sherr/CNET “The game is off to a phenomenal start,” Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter wrote in a note to investors last week. Though EA’s financial results over the last holiday season were disappointing (in part because of Fortnite’s popularity), Pachter expects Apex Legends to contribute $100 million to EA’s revenues in its next fiscal year. Post a comment Apex Legends continues to grow.The new video game from industry giant Electronic Arts has been grabbing attention online as it takes on one of the world’s most popular games, Epic’s Fortnite: Battle Royale. Like Fortnite, Apex Legends is free to download and is designed as a last-man-standing “battle royale” title. And Apex Legends appears to be growing fast. Last week, the company said the game counted 10 million players in the first 72 hours since the game’s launch. Now it’s at 25 million players. How is Apex Legends different from Fortnite and PUBG? 0 Electronic Arts (EA) Fortnite Now playing: Watch this: Culture Tech Industry Gaming 2:42last_img read more

BNP wants Russian Chinese support to end Rohingya crisis

first_imgBNPThe Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Wednesday called for intensifying diplomatic efforts to convince Russia and China to secure their support to resolve the Rohingya crisis, UNB reports from Cox’s Bazar.The main opposition party emphasised support from the two powers so that they do not exercise their veto power against any move by the United Nations Security Council to take a resolution on the Rohingya crisis.”We must continue our diplomatic endeavours to have a solution to Rohingya issue. Our diplomatic efforts will also have to deepen so that China and Russia don’t use their veto power at the UN Security Council,” BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir told newsmen after distributing relief materials among Rohingyas at Ukhia.The BNP leader said the government should make its best efforts to persuade all the influential countries to stand by the hapless and persecuted citizens of Myanmar.He said their party wants the government to give shelter to those Myanmar citizens entered Bangladesh in the face of mass killing and persecution in their own country for a temporary period on humanitarian ground.At the same time, Fakhrul said, the government also must take all-out measures to repatriate the displaced Rohingyas promptly ensuring their citizenship and dignity.On behalf of their party chairperson Khaleda Zia, the BNP secretary general also called upon all to stand by the repressed Rohingya with their humanitarian assistance.He said their party has long been demanding army engagement to carry out relief activities in Rohingya camps. “Discipline has been restored in distributing relief here as the government finally entrusted the army with the task.”The BNP leader said the government should increase its healthcare services for Rohingyas further and set up temporary houses for them.He said their party has been providing Rohingyas with humanitarian support since they started entering Bangladesh following persecution in Myanmar.The BNP leader said their party leaders are working for giving humanitarian assistance to the Rohingyas alongside its central relief team.Fakhrul, who went to Cox’s Bazar on Tuesday afternoon, handed over two trucks carrying relief materials of their party to army on Ukhia College ground on Wednesday morning.He later distributed the relief materials, including food, clothes, utensils and medicines, among the Rohingyas.last_img read more

Real estate developer arrested for duping elderly

first_imgKolkata: Police arrested a real estate developer following an interrogation at Bidhannagar North police station in connection with a case where an allegation of cheating an elderly person has cropped up.Police said one Suchitra Bakshi had lodged a complaint against real estate developer Biswadeep Chakraborty. She lodged the complaint alleging that she was cheated by Chakraborty, who had engaged into an agreement with her to develop a multi-storeyed residential building on her plot in Salt Lake. She claimed that she was supposed to get Rs 70 lakh from the developer and also a floor of the building along with a parking space as per the agreement. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsShe claimed that the real estate developer had given them a total of Rs 14 lakh in phases and they had even shifted to a rented house. Rent of three months were also given by the developer in advance. But the situation turned worse when the rent was no more paid and the landlord didn’t allow the complainant to stay anymore at the rented house. The complainant had repeatedly attempted to seek attention of the real estate developer. But it was of no help, she alleged. Finally, she shifted to another rented house at Lake Town and lodged a complaint with the police. Police initiated a probe in this connection and initially detained him for interrogation. He failed to give any clarification to many questions of the investigating officers for which he was arrested.last_img read more

Showcasing works of excellence

first_imgWitness works of excellence – both in terms of material application and aesthetic appeal – at the Lalit Kala Akademi’s 59th National Exhibition of Art 2017-18. This exhibition is held every year to exhibit the works of excellence and to give recognition to outstanding artists and covers artworks from a broad range of mediums like paintings, sculptures, graphics, photographs, drawings, installation and multimedia. To celebrate the 70th year of Indian Independence there are two categories for award selection – 10 awards for the age group between 30-50 years and five awards for age group above 50 years. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfAccording to C S Krishna Setty, Administrator, Lalit Kala Akademi, “The Akademi has received 3644 entries submitted by 1433 artist throughout the country. It has nominated five first tier selection jury members namely Prof. Shyam Sharma (Bihar), Noni Borpuzari (Assam), Ramdas Adyanthaya (Karnataka), V. Nagdas (Chhattisgarh), Johny ML (New Delhi).”The selection Jury has recommended inviting artworks from eminent artists such as Bose Krishnamachari, T.V. Santhosh, Atul Dodiya, Manu Parekh, K.S. Radhakrishnan, Subodh Gupta, Adwaita Gadanayak, Jyoti Bhatt, Sudarshan Shetty, L.N. Tallur and N. Pushpamala.”The selection jury unanimously selected 173 exhibits indifferent disciplines by 172 artists for the National exhibition. The exhibition will be organized at Lalit Kala Akademi Galleries, New Delhi in the mid of January 2018,” says Setty.last_img read more