BCC to decide at ‘appropriate time’ on future Windies relations

first_img cancellation Their actions led to the cancellation of the Test tour, and an angry BCCI subsequently slapped the WICB with a US$42 million claim for losses, while also threatening legal action. The BCCI also suspended bilateral relations with the WICB. Following the October meeting between Cameron, Muirhead, and BCCI officials, the WICB said it hoped for an amicable resolution, especially with the BCCI set to meet in the AGM. “We had discussions on the resolution of the impasse that currently exists. It was very cordial,” ESPN Cricinfo quoted Muirhead as saying recently. “We discussed everything that would affect us at length. We were sure that a resolution would be forthcoming in the very near future. We are hoping that it will take root at the AGM.” According to the noted cricket website, the WICB has indicated its inability to settle the multi-million-dollar claim and has proposed touring India in 2017 instead. Since the abandoned tour, the WICB has subsequently come under pressure at home, with a recent commission of eminent persons, established by the regional nation-state grouping CARICOM, proposing the “immediate dissolution” of the board. MUMBAI, India, (CMC): The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) says it will take its time in mulling over the normalising of relations with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB). Following the conclusion of its annual general meeting (AGM) here Monday, BCCI president Shashank Manohar said the board would “take a call” on resuming bilateral tours with the Windies, which were suspended last year in the wake of the ill-fated limited overs and Test series. “There is still plenty of time to go and play in West Indies. We will decide at the appropriate time,” Manohar said. “They met us recently … the CEO of the West Indies Board and the chairman of the West Indies Board. They have given their viewpoint. We will take a call.” WICB president Dave Cameron, along with chief executive Michael Muirhead, recently met with BCCI officials to discuss a resolution to the dispute which arose in October last year when the West Indies one-day team abruptly abandoned the tour of India over a contracts squabble with players union WIPA.last_img read more

Cops track sex offenders

first_img“We have had a problem, particularly with the transients. If they don’t come and register every 30 days, we don’t know where they have gone,” Waite said, explaining that transients have to register every 30 days under state law, while people who have stable residences register once a year. In 1947, California was the first state in the nation to enact a sex-offender registration law, and the state’s Megan’s Law was enacted in 1996, allowing law local enforcement agencies to notify the public about sex-offender registrants who could pose a risk to the public. The law is named for a 7-year-old New Jersey girl who was raped and murdered by a known child molester who had moved across the street from her family. Sgt. Randy Foushee of the Simi Valley Police Department said the grant will help all the local law enforcement agencies in an important task. “The law enforcement community recognizes that we need to communicate on a regular basis because some of these sex offenders are moving around from community to community,” he said. “We have to communicate and we are doing that.” In November, California voters approved Proposition 83, known as Jessica’s Law, to improve monitoring of sex offenders and increase penalties and restrictions on where sex offenders can live. The law is named after a 9-year-old Florida girl raped and murdered in 2005. Among other things, the new law bars registered sex offenders from living within 2,000 feet of any school or park. Once police find that someone is not at a site where they have registered, “We immediately start looking, make contact and make sure they are complying with the rules,” Waite said. Of the new task force, he said, “It makes the whole system run more efficiently.” Officials said the $687,750 grant from the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services will be divided among the three counties to improve training and public awareness of the laws governing people registered as sex offenders and how the public can use the Megan’s Law Web site to monitor their neighborhoods. In California, www.meganslaw.ca.gov keeps track of more than 60,000 registered sex offenders. The grant money also will provide for a deputy to work full time tracking registered sex offenders and act as a deterrent by letting the sex-offender registrants know they are being monitored, Waite said. “It allows us to update our systems,” he said, “get ahold of these guys, see what they look like now, and keep track of them.” eric.leach@dailynews.com (805) 583-7602160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A state grant is helping the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department keep better track of registered sex offenders with a new task force involving Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. The $687,750 grant will help the sheriff’s departments in the tri-county area work with local police departments and immigration and probation agencies. “It helps us better track the sex registrants and keep the database updated. It makes the whole system run more efficiently,” said Sgt. Tim Waite, a supervisor of the Sexual Assault Unit for the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department. The new task force is called the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (SAFE) team. last_img read more