US sanctions Congo election officials

first_img…says they obstructed voteThe United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on three senior officials from Democratic Republic of Congo’s electoral commission, accusing them of corruption and obstructing December’s presidential election.The US Treasury said in a statement that the commission’s organization of the Dec. 30 election, which led to Congo’s first ever transfer of power via the ballot box, “failed to ensure the vote reflected the will of the Congolese people.”Even so, the statement stopped short of calling into question the legitimacy of President Felix Tshisekedi’s victory, despite what sources told Reuters was outright rigging to deny runner-up Martin Fayulu the win.The US sanctions target commission President Corneille Nangaa, Vice President Norbert Basengezi and Marcellin Mukolo Basengezi, an adviser to Nangaa and son of Norbert Basengezi.Nangaa and Norbert Basengezi were not immediately available for comment. Marcellin Mukolo Basengezi could not be reached for comment.The Treasury statement focused on what it said were efforts by the three “to obstruct and delay preparations” for the election, which had originally been due in 2016, and corruption related to procurement of voting machines and other materials.File photo: President of Congo’s National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI), Corneille Nangaa, speaks during a press conference announcing the results of the presidential election in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, January 10, 2019 (REUTERS/Jackson Njehia)Former President Joseph Kabila was required by the constitution to step down in December 2016 following an election to choose his successor, but the commission repeatedly postponed the vote, citing logistical obstacles.Treasury said the three officials facilitated the delays by embezzling money meant to finance the vote into shell companies and accused Nangaa and Norbert Basengezi of bribing justices on Congo’s top court to approve an election delay in 2016.It also said that commission officials, under Nangaa’s leadership, inflated by as much as $100 million the cost of electronic voting machines “with the intent to use surplus funds for personal enrichment, bribes, and campaign costs to fund the election campaign of Kabila’s candidate.”Kabila’s preferred candidate, former Interior Minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, finished a distant third in the official results.Congolese sources in contact with Nangaa and other senior government officials told Reuters that Fayulu actually won the election but that top officials instructed the commission to award the vote to Tshisekedi, who the Kabila’s camp viewed as less hostile to its interests.Kabila and Tshisekedi’s camps both deny the vote was rigged.The United States sharply criticized the conduct of the election but eventually recognized Tshisekedi’s victory and said it was committed to working with his Government. (Reuters)last_img read more

SINGER’S OUTRAGE AT REMOVAL OF PACE-MAKER SERVICES AFTER HER OPERATION

first_imgA well-known Donegal singer has pleaded with the HSE to reinstate the pacemaker service at Letterkenny General Hospital.Tanya McCole, from Ardara, had a pacemaker fitted a year ago this week and said the operation has changed her life.The 36 year old musician had been collapsing and went to see cardiologist Dr David. The well-known heart-specialist rushed Tanya into surgery after discovering her heart-rate was just 36 beats-per-minute when the average is between 70 and 80 bpm.Tanya said the operation has changed her life.“I am a new woman and that’s because I had the pacemaker fitted.“If I did not have it fitted I would still be collapsing and wondering what was going to happen to me,” she said. Her father Mick McCole also had a pace-maker fitted three years ago at Letterkenny General and if fighting it again.Tanya said she fears the failure to return the pacemaker service to the hospital is another negative step towards downgrading Letterkenny General.“I have been in different hospitals including the Blackrock Clinic and they speak so highly of Dr David and his team.“I fear that he will just get tired of all the cutbacks and decide to move away form the hospital,” she said.Tanya, who admits that she is so angry about the whittling down of services, said something drastic needs to be done to stop the rot. “I know people have a lot of gripes about taxes but my problem is with the health care system.“I feel that if we got enough people on buses and stood up and took a stand then they would listen.“One voice would not be heard but ten thousand would,” she said.SINGER’S OUTRAGE AT REMOVAL OF PACE-MAKER SERVICES AFTER HER OPERATION was last modified: February 18th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DR DAVIDLetterkenny General HospitalPACEMAKERTANYA MCCOLElast_img read more

RUN FOR FUN PROGRAMME SEES 25 PARTICIPANTS COMPLETE COURSE

first_imgThe Run for Fun group.Donegal Sports Partnership with Athletics Ireland recently coordinated a Sports Leadership programme to support the growing numbers taking part in walking, jogging and running across the county.The Run for Fun Leaders Programme was delivered to 25 participants from all across Donegal and Tyrone in the Finn Valley Sports Centre over a four week period.The programme included areas such as planning your session, communication styles, warm up and cool down routines, health and safety of your group, nutrition and hydration and injury prevention and management. Tutor for the programme was Eamon Harvey from Athletics Ireland with support workshop delivered by Chartered Physiotherapist Lorraine Boyce and Sports Nutritionist Therese Laverty.A further training programme is planned for April, further details from Donegal Sports Partnership at info@activedonegal.com. RUN FOR FUN PROGRAMME SEES 25 PARTICIPANTS COMPLETE COURSE was last modified: February 28th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDONEGAL SPORTS PARTNERSHIPRun for funlast_img read more