Australia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible

first_imgAustralia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Sydney Morning Herald:The closure of Australia’s largest coal-fired power plant could be brought forward as Origin Energy assesses a “range of scenarios”, including the impact of climate change and the influx of renewable energy, which could influence the timing.After pushing back against a move by shareholder activists last year to bring forward the 2032 shutdown of the Eraring black coal-fired generator in New South Wales by two years, Origin Energy on Thursday indicated it remained open to retiring the facility or winding it down in a staged approach sooner than 2032.Origin Energy chief executive Frank Calabria, when asked about the future of the 2880-megawatt plant, said the energy market was “moving rapidly” and the facility was subject to continual review.The company was considering “various scenarios” in assessing the plant’s future, he said, which factored in the economics of running the plant and the impact of global warming in the wake of this summer’s devastating bushfire season.“We look at lots of scenarios in the way we think about how Eraring should run over time, how we think about its trajectory between now and 2032,” Mr. Calabria said. “Bushfires are another reason why we just continue to assess those scenarios … we are certainly assessing a range of scenarios as to how Eraring runs and operates over the coming years.”Nationwide, there have been growing doubts about whether coal-fired generators will see out the length of their licenses as the transition to cleaner energy sources, including gas and renewable energy, gathers pace, despite the federal government’s insistence that coal is critical to ensuring reliable and cheap electricity.[Nick Toscano]More: Origin Energy says coal plant closure date open to reviewlast_img read more

DDTV: COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – MAYO KEEPER DAVID CLARKE CONFIDENT AHEAD OF FINAL

first_imgDDTV: With all the madness around Donegal, it doesn’t do any harm to bring you all back down to earth ahead of the All-Ireland final. Here’s a video interview with Mayo ‘keeper David Clarke.He points out that Mayo have won back-to-back provincial titles, got to the semi-final last year and made it to this year’s final.If that sounds familiar, that’s because that is what Donegal have done.Click Play to see his interview  DDTV: COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – MAYO KEEPER DAVID CLARKE CONFIDENT AHEAD OF FINAL was last modified: September 19th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DDTV: COUNTDOWN TO CROKER – MAYO KEEPER DAVID CLARKE CONFIDENT AHEAD OF FINALlast_img read more