Australia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible

first_imgAustralia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Sydney Morning Herald:The closure of Australia’s largest coal-fired power plant could be brought forward as Origin Energy assesses a “range of scenarios”, including the impact of climate change and the influx of renewable energy, which could influence the timing.After pushing back against a move by shareholder activists last year to bring forward the 2032 shutdown of the Eraring black coal-fired generator in New South Wales by two years, Origin Energy on Thursday indicated it remained open to retiring the facility or winding it down in a staged approach sooner than 2032.Origin Energy chief executive Frank Calabria, when asked about the future of the 2880-megawatt plant, said the energy market was “moving rapidly” and the facility was subject to continual review.The company was considering “various scenarios” in assessing the plant’s future, he said, which factored in the economics of running the plant and the impact of global warming in the wake of this summer’s devastating bushfire season.“We look at lots of scenarios in the way we think about how Eraring should run over time, how we think about its trajectory between now and 2032,” Mr. Calabria said. “Bushfires are another reason why we just continue to assess those scenarios … we are certainly assessing a range of scenarios as to how Eraring runs and operates over the coming years.”Nationwide, there have been growing doubts about whether coal-fired generators will see out the length of their licenses as the transition to cleaner energy sources, including gas and renewable energy, gathers pace, despite the federal government’s insistence that coal is critical to ensuring reliable and cheap electricity.[Nick Toscano]More: Origin Energy says coal plant closure date open to reviewlast_img read more

Byrne named Director of Cross-Country and Track and Field for Wisconsin

first_imgMick Byrne has been named Director of Cross-Country and Track and Field for Wisconsin’s newly-combined men’s and women’s program, UW Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez announced Thursday.Byrne, who has been the head men’s cross-country coach and assistant track coach at Wisconsin for the past five seasons, and who has led the men’s cross country team to five Big Ten championships – including the 2011 NCAA championship – will oversee what will become the seventh Big Ten Conference combined men’s and women’s cross country and track programs.“This is a special day for me,” Byrne said at a press conference Thursday. “I came to Wisconsin five years ago and fell in love with everything this university and this athletic program had to offer. To have the opportunity to lead not only our men’s distance runners, but our entire track and field programs is truly a dream come true for me.”Byrne takes over for longtime men’s track and field head coach, Ed Nuttycombe, who made his retirement official on Thursday. Nuttycombe led the Badgers to 26 Big Ten titles and the indoor national championship in 2007 during his tenure in Madison.“I couldn’t think of anyone better equipped to move our track and cross-country programs forward than Mick,” Nuttycombe said. “I know the Badgers are in good hands.”For Alvarez, the decision to name Byrne as Nuttycombe’s successor was a no-brainer.“It was not a very hard choice,” Alvarez said. “I think everybody realized the ability and the success that Mick had, and I couldn’t be more pleased that he accepted the position of director of cross-country and track of our entire track program.”Byrne, recipient of 32 conference coach of the year honors in cross country, including 22 straight awards between his time at Iona College and his five seasons at UW, was also honored as 2011 National Coach of the Year by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.“I’m here because I love the challenge,” Byrne said. “I learned so much from [Nuttycombe] in my time here, and we’re going to give it everything we have to continue the tradition of winning that he’s established over the last 30 years.”last_img read more