Australia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible

first_imgAustralia’s Origin says early retirement of 2,880MW Eraring coal plant is possible FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Sydney Morning Herald:The closure of Australia’s largest coal-fired power plant could be brought forward as Origin Energy assesses a “range of scenarios”, including the impact of climate change and the influx of renewable energy, which could influence the timing.After pushing back against a move by shareholder activists last year to bring forward the 2032 shutdown of the Eraring black coal-fired generator in New South Wales by two years, Origin Energy on Thursday indicated it remained open to retiring the facility or winding it down in a staged approach sooner than 2032.Origin Energy chief executive Frank Calabria, when asked about the future of the 2880-megawatt plant, said the energy market was “moving rapidly” and the facility was subject to continual review.The company was considering “various scenarios” in assessing the plant’s future, he said, which factored in the economics of running the plant and the impact of global warming in the wake of this summer’s devastating bushfire season.“We look at lots of scenarios in the way we think about how Eraring should run over time, how we think about its trajectory between now and 2032,” Mr. Calabria said. “Bushfires are another reason why we just continue to assess those scenarios … we are certainly assessing a range of scenarios as to how Eraring runs and operates over the coming years.”Nationwide, there have been growing doubts about whether coal-fired generators will see out the length of their licenses as the transition to cleaner energy sources, including gas and renewable energy, gathers pace, despite the federal government’s insistence that coal is critical to ensuring reliable and cheap electricity.[Nick Toscano]More: Origin Energy says coal plant closure date open to reviewlast_img read more

New York-based media corporation wants to partner with CARICOM

first_img Sharing is caring! 34 Views   no discussions Share NewsRegional New York-based media corporation wants to partner with CARICOM by: – September 23, 2011 Tweetcenter_img Share Share Image via:Facebook.comGEORGETOWN, Guyana — The New York based media corporation, South-South News, wants to foster cooperation with the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) in the areas of capacity building, information dissemination and technical and technological development. President of South-South News, Francis Lorenzo, met with CARICOM chairman, Dr Denzil Douglas, and other CARICOM heads of government and foreign ministers at the South-South offices in New York, on Thursday. South-South News is a digital media platform for the countries of the south that are facilitating, connecting, and publishing news on various efforts in sustainable economic and social development to audiences and multiple constituencies not only in the south but also around the world. Lorenzo said the vision of the one-and-a-half year old corporation is to help bridge the digital divide. In this regard he was willing to sign a memorandum of understanding with the Caribbean Community to build cooperation in training and development, staff exchange programs, information dissemination and transfer of technology. Launched in February 2010 during the sixteenth session of the United Nations General Assembly High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation (SSC), South-South News aims to advance the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) through the sharing of best practices in the areas of South-South and Triangular Cooperation. South-South News disseminates news about Africa, Asia and Pacific, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean. The corporation has a reach of more than 2, 000 media entities across the world and is an accredited media entity and partner of the United Nations.Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more